Lunds & Byerlys: Director Private Brands
Edina, MN 55424
Job Type: Full-time
Full Job Description
Our Commitment to You: Lunds & Byerlys is committed to taking care of the employees who take care of our customers. We are committed to creating work environments centered around the values of hospitality, teamwork, and opportunity. Lunds & Byerlys is committed to providing equal opportunities to all interested and qualified candidates.
A little bit about us, we might be for you if you are looking for a…
- Strong culture based on values, family, and team. These words are not just tossed around. They are at the core of who we are.
- “Great place to work” – we are a StarTribune Top Workplace 2019-2021.
- Hometown team with a beloved brand and solid reputation.
NOTE: The following is a profile or persona of who we are looking for. If you have many of the characteristics below, please apply so we can start a conversation.
This position represents a senior management position that has responsibility for the performance of premium private label and national brand equivalent products across all departments/categories. This position establishes the strategic direction for all private brands and works in partnership with Department Directors and Category Managers to build the strategy and follow Category Management processes. Key deliverables include long-term strategic brand plans; category vision and strategies; brand marketing plans including creative and annual business plans.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The following description of work to be performed by this individual is not intended to be all-inclusive. Rather, it focuses on the major tasks that must be accomplished. There are many necessary activities to satisfy any of the following performance guidelines.
- Provide leadership to establish clear direction for the company’s strategic private label vision to contribute to the achievement of the company’s strategic goal and key initiatives
- Identify cutting edge trends and bring them to the organization, inspiring innovation and differentiation across all departments for the top tier private brand
- Develop private label and signature item strategies to successfully support the brand identity of each format and maximize sales and profitability objectives
- Lead and inspire innovative products and programs to ensure trend forward product offerings are maximized to support the brand strategies of each format and to maximize sales and profitability objectives
- Develop and execute buying, merchandising, pricing and promotion strategies that support and promote the brand management objectives and are unique and specific to the format
- Source and foster strong vendor partnerships and establish a foundation of understanding of product development for the unique, premium private label products that fit the brand strategy
- Negotiate purchase contracts, buying agreements and promotional programs that secure the lowest cost of goods and most favorable terms on the products and services that represent the quality, variety and selection objectives of each format
- Identify private label product opportunities by category utilizing trend and analytical tools. Research and develop products, including ingredients, recipe specs and packaging
- Develop communication models that ensure key stakeholders including retail, wholesale supplier, vendor and other personnel have information, tools, resources, and the appropriate level of involvement in decisions, programs and strategies that affect them
- Develop, communicate, and execute a wide and varied range of promotional programs including seasonal, event, lifestyle, and item driven programs that successfully support and achieve sales, profitability and brand management objectives
- Participate in the development of sales objectives and profitability for assigned product areas and establish programs and services that maximize the accomplishment of such objectives
- Review financial performance reports and analyze and interpret data to identify opportunities to obtain cost savings objectives through efficient planning of resources, including labor
- Identify and develop staffing needs and key positions to ensure employee development to continue to grow our company’s bench strength
- Train and develop team members. This includes mentoring and developing team members to build the next generation of company leaders, performance evaluations and performance management
- Develop staffing models, assign responsibility, coach, train and manage performance to ensure the accomplishment of department objectives
OTHER JOB DUTIES (Not considered essential to the job)
- Perform all other related assignments (including special projects) as required in a professional and cooperative manner.
Required: Bachelor’s degree in business, food services or equivalent
- Desired: Master’s degree
- Licensing Required: None
- Minimum of 10 years of related management experience including responsibility for sales and profitability, budgeting, buying, and merchandising along with a proven record of success in developing product strategies, category management, pricing, promotions and merchandising.
- LFHI Competencies expected of all employees include: being action-oriented, communicating effectively, customer focus, values differences and instilling trust.
- Other required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to travel to retail and manufacturing locations as needed
- Ability to delegate and follow-through
- Ability to identify issues and determine solutions to continually enhance the work environment as well as store operations
- Ability to read, write, speak and comprehend English
- Ability to respond to continually changing priorities and coordinate multiple projects
- Ability to work with people, maximizing performance
- Established leadership experience
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills
- Innovative, resourceful, and analytical thinking required
- Knowledge of food safety codes to ensure food safety
- Prior team leadership experience, personal and interpersonal skills
- Project management, sound judgment and decision-making abilities
- A service-oriented individual with high energy, positive and friendly demeanor
- Strong computer skills
- Strong customer service, interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong organizational abilities
- Understanding of operating budgets to accomplish financial goals
- Well-developed leadership skills and consensus-building style
OTHER REQUIREMENTS/EQUIPMENT USED, IF APPLICABLE
- Office Equipment (this may include computer, phone, printer, scanner, copier and fax machine)