Location: 10850 Via Frontera, San Diego, CA 92127
Come work at a place where innovation and teamwork come together to support the most exciting missions in the world!
To support the development and execution of Petco Private Brand branding, packaging, and internal communication. Support category strategies and brand and product positioning to distinguish Petco’s private brand products based on their superior value, quality, and design.
This role is responsible for assigned product branding and accountable for package design and execution.
Essential Job Functions
The incumbent must be able to perform all the following duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Understand and define the target customer and lead the development of brands that create emotional connections and aspirations within defined product categories.
- Work with private brand product development, communications, merchants, category marketing, merchandise planning & analytics, and other cross-functional teams to define Brand strategy for Home, Play, Away and Apparel.
- Represent branding, packaging and communication for all Private Brand products within assigned portfolio. Take product / strategic direction from the merchants and Private Brand leaders, and work collaboratively with product developers, sourcing, packaging engineer, copywriter, merchandising team and others to develop and execute branding, packaging and communication plans.
- Manage branding, packaging and communication processes, adhering to deadlines and milestones. Participate in process development and influence process changes to improve quality and speed to market.
- Establish the key product attributes and benefits and ensure products are assigned to the appropriate brand; develop and execute the brand positioning for portfolio of private brand products. Facilitate branding discussions, representing brand positioning, and lead cross-functional alignment around branding decisions.
- Own collection of input to package and marketing creative briefs, write effective creative briefs and define communication hierarchy. Coordinate with merchants and product developers to ensure briefs contain all information and effectively convey package and brand requirements. Write briefs for in-store signage and work with visual merchandising, product developers and merchants to execute signage.
- Lead overall package development. Oversee development and execution of packaging for assigned portfolio, provide input to package design, brand adaptation, communication hierarchy, substrate and structure selection and print execution.
- Act as conduit to develop marketing briefs and represent private brands’ portrayal in marketing/media. Serve as approver of marketing materials that feature private brand products.
- Remain knowledgeable about marketing-related subjects such as brand management, consumer behavior influences and current marketing research methodologies.
- Provide the strategic objectives necessary to effectively partner with our Marketing team in the development of our go-to-market strategies on Private Brand products.
- Understand and remain knowledgeable of customer need, behaviors and influence triggers through financial and customer data analysis, market research and consumer testing; and formulate effective strategies to ensure the brands receive maximum quality and yield better results than those of our competitors for similar retails; ensure these teachings are incorporated into our packaging and training for associates; partner with our internal Marketing Research department to achieve the most effective results.
- Continuously demonstrate strong leadership abilities, effective communication and social skills, strong analytical skills and the ability to multi-task.
- Maintain a strong relationship with marketing to ensure our brand message is appropriately and consistently communicated across all marketing channels.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
Directs research on pet care issues, pet breed and needs, pet sizing, pet care items, pet nutrition, etc to make strategic recommendations based on the findings. All research to utilize our internal marketing research team as the primary funnel for development. Must learn product design and development process and integrate with product design functions. Work across Petco to build and maintain strong relationships. Must have excellent communications skills, both written and verbal and manage cross-functionally. Must be creative, conceptual, imaginative and yet practical and analytical enough to solve day-to-day problems. Performs other related duties, tasks and responsibilities as required, assigned and/or directed.
Nature of Supervision:
Discretion within this role is vital to the success of building the Petco private brands. This individual operates under an apprentice structure, reporting to the Brand Manager Private Brand. Operates under general direction, Guidance is provided on some, but not on all tasks to be completed. The Brand Manager-Private Brands needs to be able to make independent decisions about what is communicated to the Petco customer for each private brand product/product line. Decisions made by this position will have direct impact on sales of our products.
Planning and Problem Solving
- Develop strategies and timelines and effectively partner cross-functionally to ensure product and packaging meets brand standards.
- Problem solve for the consumer by researching what it is they need to understand about the products to help them make a smart decision when buying Petco Private Brand products.
Petco Animal Supplies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or any other protected classification.