CAREERS: Staples – Manager, Category Development
Staples is business to business. You’re what binds us together.
Our merchandising team aims to deliver the best value and selection to our customers through products, services, and solutions all centered around our customers’ needs. We are driven by customer insights and analytics to bring products and solutions to market seamlessly. We are inclusive, well-rounded professionals who have deep experience in buying, selling, negotiating, operations, design, innovation, finance, and more.
What you’ll be doing:
- Responsible for the development and execution of category and product-level strategies that drive profitable overall sales and margin growth in his/her assigned categories across the North American business units.
- Oversee & drive the management of new product development and maintenance projects from Define to Launch in support of category growth strategies.
- Demonstrate deep category management expertise through use of all data sources to drive decision making and to influence merchants to support Private Brand growth.
- Partner with merchandising leads to influence all aspects related to Private Brands including financial performance, assortment and portfolio mix, value positioning and placement.
- Create business cases to support new product development; sell in product ideas to merchants.
- Support Product Development and Sourcing team on creating tech packs and required feature/benefits.
- Work with Brand Strategy team to build compelling consumer propositions and support in the creation of compelling packaging and messaging.
- Drive the creation of product briefs, giving definition and direction on a new project to the rest of the team. This includes ideation, definition, and project management.
- Maintain Project Management Database with all information / changes for new product development projects.
- Manage ongoing product assortment (lifecycle management) and tracks category performance and assortment productivity.
- Analyze and interpret consumer and industry trends and maintains competitive research.
- Partner with the Insights team to establish success metrics, review results regularly, and develop business recommendations based on findings.
- Lead category annual planning by working with Brand Strategy team to drive connecting between brand strategy to individual categories.
- Create a culture of collaboration and trust across a broad and complex cross-functional team, which includes Merchants, Marketing, Insights, Sales, and Finance, in addition to Business Unit stakeholders. Act as a role model for working across segment, functions, and teams.
What you bring to the table:
- Ability to influence without authority.
- Analytical thinker and problem solver, with the ability to use the data to tell a story and drive the business.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Have initiative, be flexible, detail-oriented and a team player.
- The willingness to work to tight deadlines in high pressured environments without compromising on work quality.
- Experience working effectively in complex global organizations, satisfying the needs of diverse constituents, and often working under the pressure of competing and sometimes conflicting priorities.
- Be able to thrive in a collaborative, corporate environment with a professional and positive attitude.
- Knowledgeable in the impact and methods of achieving sustainability through materials, process, and execution.
What’s needed- Basic Qualifications:
- 6 years of relevant experience with strong analytical and product management skills
What’s needed- Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Hybrid work schedule: Minimum 3 days onsite
- Inclusive culture with Associate-led Business Resource Groups
- Flexible PTO (22 days) and Holiday Schedule (7 observed paid holidays)
- Online and Retail Discounts, Company Match 401(k), Physical and Mental Health Wellness programs, and moreperks and benefits
Interested in joining the team? Check out our perks and benefits !
Staples believes Inclusion is a verb and we encourage diversity of thinking and ideas as well as backgrounds and experiences. Staples is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.