CAREERS: Dollar Tree – Package Designer
500 Volvo Parkway, Chesapeake, Virginia
The packaging and product designer is responsible for reviewing the technical requirements of corporate art as well as the availability of files. Develop reference documents for consistent representation throughout the team, design private brands, CPG, and product art, review, and proofing, and finally collaborate with business teams. The packaging and product designer is responsible for maintaining the quality, accuracy, and consistency of all private label brands, product design, and packaging across multiple product categories. Create, execute, and oversee corporate art, packaging, and product design templates from concept to finished product/deliverable. The packaging and product designer works directly with merchandising, imports, and testing under the supervision of the creative brand and packaging manager. They additionally support these brands and product categories by collaborating closely with suppliers, merchandising, quality assurance, global sourcing, and external vendors.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Create and design art for packaging, templates, brands, and product art. Participate in marketplace research alongside merchant teams and develop designs to meet the changing consumer needs as well as business needs.
- Conceptualize, create, and execute trend-right prints and repeat patterns, using corporate art to create a cohesive assortment for apparel, home, and consumer products.
- Collaborates with Creative Design Manager and merchants developing product art for seasonal selections.
- Formatting the appearance of the packaging, including structure, graphics, photography/illustration, and typography to meet packaging objectives.
- Collaborate with merchants, imports, testing, and vendors to ensure packaging is accurate, market-driven, and meets all legal requirements.
- Develop and update as needed standardized GBI/DT art board, general template requirements, and consistent communication to vendors.
- Stay up to date with new technology and pro-tips to benefit the graphic team and share in an instructional manner.
- Reviews corporate art files and provides feedback to art house ensuring technical requirements meet GBI/DT standards
- Utilize Legal database to manage and ensure the appropriate brand trademarks on private brand packaging.
- Provides clear and concise direction to vendors to assist them in applying in-house artwork to packaging and products.
- Review digital and print proofs for accuracy and execution of creative intent.
- Act as a liaison between Dollar Tree, suppliers, and external vendors.
- Maintain accurate record of items/programs in the process via Production Schedule/Tracker.
- Assist in the onboarding and mentoring of new designers.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Ensures all packaging and product deadlines are met through use of the production schedule.
- Maintains knowledge and awareness of packaging and design trends, procedures, and process updates.
- Facilitate the entire Private Brand production art process for a particular set of categories/brands.
- Build industry knowledge by studying your categories within local Dollar Tree stores, as well as other comparative retail stores, on a regular basis to identify new trends and opportunities. Evaluate and report to Sr. Manager, the merchandise mix, overall competition look/feel, and translate findings into executable brand/category proposals as appropriate.
- CPG Graphic Design – 3+ years of CPG Design, including understanding of labeling regulatory and brand basics
- Adobe CS6 – Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite 6 using Mackintosh/Apple Computer.
- Organizational Skills – own your timeline, able to follow established metrics as well as manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Communication – able to clearly and accurately convey action edits and approvals as well as speaking directly to status
- Design Execution – able to execute established design metrics and subject matter expert for assigned brands/categories
- Independent/Fast Paced
- BA/BS degree in Graphic Design or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of 3-5 years work experience with emphasis on Creative Production or Project Management
- Must be proficient in working in an Apple Hardware/Software Environment
- Expert Skill in the use of Adobe Creative Cloud, particularly Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Work within Microsoft 360 and software for project management of your own workload
- Strong sense of design, color, trends, and an understanding of the product development process
- Highly creative, with proven brand sense and logo development, color, typography, and layout
- Excellent written, verbal communication, oral communication, and organizational skills
- Elevated attention to detail and accuracy when proofing packaging art layouts.
- Ability to work independently, handle multiple projects simultaneously, and work efficiently to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment, assist team members as needed, and freely share knowledge and expertise.
- Ability to work extended hours as needed to ensure all deadlines are met
Auto Req ID: 534254BR
Zip/Postal Code: 23320
Process Level/Store #: MERCHANDISE (HRLY)
Corporate Job Category: Merchandising
Job Code: PACK_DESGNR PACKAGE DESIGNER